Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Turn, Smile, Shift, Repeat

Young horses can be a trip. You start with a blank page of potential, so that every small thing that they do right, you can claim as your own personal victory. But, it would be a lie to say that these victories came without their fair share of set backs. The best thing to do is stay positive and turn every defeat into a different victory.

Easier said than done, but remember, we do this for FUN! So there's no sense getting too bummed out if something doesn't go as planned. It's all about the journey.

Recently, I had trouble getting Zahra into my trailer to take her to a show. Blessing in disguise? One extra day of relaxation in Outer Banks, North Carolina!

On Friday, I tried to take her to the vet to see about this niggling little not-quite-lameness in her hind end. Maybe its nothing, but I wanted to be sure. Again, no getting in the trailer. Blessing in disguise? When we finally DID get her in (hours after her appointment was supposed to start), I drove her, and my two year old Puck, to the farmhouse.
  • She gets some R&R while we abandon the rigors of dressage and jumping for quiet hacks around the farm.
  • She is learning to self load in the trailer because it provides relief from the bugs and it is where all her meals are given.
  • Puck is getting a training intensive! Fly spray was the first and most important thing he finally had to come to grips with. Next? Maybe a bridle!
  • Work is being done on the farmhouse to make it horse friendly!! We set up the round pen, built a pasture, and updated some trails!
  • When we reschedule the vet appointment, we'll be able to take Puck too, who needs his wolf teeth pulled.
I never knew how much I would love having my horses at home, but now I know. It's awesome!! 
Building the round pen, step 1
Sophie guards the horses as we build the fence around them.




No comments:

Post a Comment